Saturday, January 23, 2010

My musical journal: ‘Lump’

My musical journal: ‘Lump’ by The Presidents of the United States of America
When my sister was 15 and came to visit me in BC, my then-boyfriend nicknamed her Lump. He even had a Christmas ornament personalized with “Lump” made for her. The first time I heard this song, I almost died laughing… it’s exactly what he meant.

I’m going to have it played to her at her wedding in June. Because she’s still a Lump. (Smart girl, blonde roots, ifyouknowwhatImean.) And because embarrassing their little sisters is just what good big sisters do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lump sat alone
In a boggy marsh
Totally motionless
Except for her heart
Mud flowed up into Lump’s pajamas
She totally confused
All the passing piranhas
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lump lingered last in line for brains
And the one she got
Was sort of rotten and insane
Small thing so sad
That birds could land
Is Lump fast asleep
Or rocking out with the band?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: