Monday, January 4, 2010

The letter

Dear My Parents:

Christmas is almost over but I have one more gift for you. I haven't given it to you yet because I haven't been entirely sure how to wrap it. And, to a large degree, it's more a gift to myself than a gift to you.

I want to come home. To live.

As overwhelming as it is for me to say that, I think I always knew that I would. I think I've been working toward it for some time. Every time someone has asked me about my future plans during the past year, my answer has been "I don't know". I knew that everything I did was for a reason - selling my condo, slowly breaking my ties with BC, finally realizing how much I wanted my family to be a part of my life again - but I honestly didn't have the final answer. I just followed where my instincts were leading me and trusted that I would figure out the answer when it was time.

Well, it's time. And the answer is home.

I want to spend time with my dad. I want to be there to support my mom. I want to shovel when it snows, and go to doctor's appointments, and run errands that you don't want to do. I want to share in your lives; the good and the bad.

Just think!! I can start arguments so you'll have a distraction! I can make a mess so you'll have something to clean up! I can hold Dad's hair back when chemo makes him sick!!! Sorry. You know I can't help myself. I just want to be there for you guys in whatever ways I can.

This is not a whim. This is a very important life decision and I haven't made it lightly. But all of the things that I have to do right now - find a job, a car, new friends, a fella - I can do anywhere. It's time for me to start living again. And I want to do it there.

I want to be with my family. Because I love you.

So, what do you say?

Can I come home now?

Think about it. Discuss it. And let me know what you think.

P.S. There is a gift receipt attached and you can exchange this for something better if you want. There is no obligation. But I would like to point out that I do have a Wii game system and I did recently purchase Wii Fit - just to sweeten the pot a little!

No comments: