Saturday, January 16, 2010

I'm making a choice

I found out a few days ago that my father’s cancer treatment is not working. They have stopped it because it is harming him more than healing him. They gave him 18 months to live 13 months ago. He has been in hospital twice since. It is very possible that my father will die very soon.

But I also found out that there is a new drug that they might be able to give him that could possibly work, except they have to do a very risky procedure - and take him off his heart medications - to see if he even qualifies for it.

So, what are my choices? I can sit here and cry because his cancer is growing or because he might die during that risky procedure. I can cry because there is a very definite possibility that they won’t approve this drug for him.

Or I can sit here with hope in my heart that he will qualify for this new drug and it will prolong his life. I am going to open myself to the possibility that he will be able to walk my sister down the aisle when she gets married in June. I will dream that he might someday meet his unborn grandchildren, that they might get to know him.

I have believed that my father, whom I love dearly, could die any minute for over a year but now there is a possibility - however slight - that he won’t. There is now hope where there was none before.
So, I’m going to look for the good and be grateful for every breath left in his body… because that is the only choice for me.

Happiness. Is. A. Choice.

Don’t doubt it for a second.

No comments: