Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"Shoot for the Moon... Even If You Miss, You'll Land Among the Stars"

This is my account of my journey to the moon. It's not a journey to the stars - the moon or bust, baby! Although my moon might be different than yours.

My life so far, geographically speaking:
Age 0-18 - Wabush, Newfoundland & Labrador
Age 18-24 - Kelligrews/St. John's, Newfoundland & Labrador
Age 24-37 - Richmond/Langley/Surrey, British Columbia
Age 37-?? - Buttfuck, Ontario

Okay, just "somewhere", Ontario. Finding out where is part of the journey.

I currently live in a small basement suite in Surrey (Cloverdale). I moved here in April after I sold my condo in Langley. This place is approximately 500sq ft. That's totally a guess, I know not of such things.

Everything I own in the world:
* Cream coloured sofa bed
* Red ottoman
* Tulip chair x2
* Shag area rug 10x18'
* Bookcase
* TV stand
* 40" JVC Flat screen TV
* DVD player/VCR
* Wii console w/Rock Bank & DDR
* Digital Piano
* Square kitchen table for 4
* 2 red chairs
* Two-door wardrobe
* Red bench
* Queen size bed w/frame & night stand
* 6 drawer dresser
* Desk w/shelves
* Computer
* Stationary bike
* Clothes
* A gazzillion things in storage
* Misc (dishes, etc)

I list these things because I am planning to move to Ontario and I have to decide what to take. Fabian, my former lover and fellow Newfoundlander, things I should sell it all and start from scratch. I disagree, for several reasons, including but not limited to:

1. I like my stuff. I bought it when I had money. I don't have money now, only credit.
2. There are some things which I could not part with, such as my piano, books, DVD's. Too much to fit in my car.
3. Other things would be too expensive to replace, even with a cheaper version.
4. I don't want to start from scratch, I want to continue. I want to evolve. I want to become. I want to land on the moon.

And so, I need to determine what gets packed, shipped and stored for a while on the other side as opposed to what will come with me. As I don't know where, when or how I will end up, this will be somewhat of a tricky endeavour.

Some of the things I NEED to do before I go:
- hire a moving company (after getting quotes)
- determine rules regarding taking my leased vehicle out of the province
- get a ton of boxes
- pack said boxes
- devise a way to safely transport my beloved art work

Because I am very obviously insane, this will be my fourth move in two years. However, the other moves were within 10 minutes of each other. This one is a wee bit further. About 4,400 kms further. A whole new ball of wax.

When I moved to BC 13 years ago, I packed my pillows, security blanket and miniscule wardrobe into my car and hit the road within two weeks of deciding to move. Again, wax, ball, different. Of course, I'm a little different now, too. More mature, more sane, more solid, more grounded, more fat and more wrinkled. More me.

No comments: