Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"No God" is Trending

My life philosophy is to never worry about something that I can not control. Will I get on that plane? Yes, I can control that, and I will hope for the best. Will the plane crash and end my life? I don't know, it's out of my hands and I'm not going to spend the next five hours freaking out about it.

When it comes to the concept of god and religion, we can argue, analyze, ponder, assume and hope but we can never know the absolute truth about the existence of god and what happens when our lives end. And so I'm not going to stress about it. Instead I will concentrate on what I can control; I will live my life the best I can, I will be happy, be good to others, I will live within the limits of man's laws and my own morals. When I die, the big questions will be answered; until then, I am open to every possibility.

That being said, here are some of my musings regarding religion:
  • From this vantage point, it seems that every religion is generally saying the same thing. I wonder how it is that people don't get that. Not the specifics, obviously, but they all say that there is something and if we are good to others, cause no harm, etc, etc, we will somehow be rewarded when we die. I do intend to research other religions deeper to solidify this point but, if most religions operate under the same basic standards, why does it cause so much hatred? Does religion teach the 'I'm right so you must be wrong so I'm going to kill you for disagreeing with me' method? If so, isn't that contradictory to everything else it teaches?
  • The only thing that I am absolutely certain about is that it is not possible to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN. Yes, you can believe, you can hope, you can trust, but - unless you are dead - there is no way to know for sure. So, why are people so arrogant as to think that they know all of the answers? To believe that there is no possibility other than what they already know? How do they not see that they are altering their perception and reality to be in line with what they want or hope?
  • Prayer is both illogical and reasonable at the same time. I have always thought that the power of prayer is not that it changes anything but more that it lessens feeling of hopelessness in a given situation. Prayer allows people to feel empowered, therefore it is empowering. The illogical aspect of prayer is believing that there is some god with magical puppet strings willing to make changes based on something you asked for. Your god will alter the fate of human existence because you said please. Your dog is going to die? That is a fact of life... but... oh, you asked if he could live so, okay, here you go. I was busy over here on the other side of the world working to save the life of a soldier who stepped on a land mine but your prayer interrupted me so here you go.
  • Anything that strengthens or brings out the best in people - be it belief in heaven or fear of punishment or respect for some god - whatever it is that causes people to be kind to others, to help, to dream and create and share - I am all for it. When my grandmother passed away, I was not comforted by my belief in god, I was comforted by hers. It helped to know that her fear was eased by her belief that she was going to be with her husband again. Whether she was right or wrong, her belief helped her through.
  • The concept of a god and of heaven does not make rational sense. There are too many impossibilities, too many overlaps, too many conflicting ideas. And, yet, when I consider the intricacies of the human body, of nature, of evolution and development I have to wonder: how is it possible that there is NOT a god of some sort? And my rational mind screams in defeat.
  • I have a theory which incorporates both the concept of religion and the theory of evolution. It is this (as well as I can explain it, anyway): I believe that we are working toward "heaven" on earth. The evolution of man, and therefore the evolution of ideas, is making the world smaller, creating one race, curing disease, helping the needy and teaching tolerance for the differences in others. Perhaps there will come a day when everyone is equal, when there is no pain or suffering or hunger or abuse or sickness. That would be heaven on earth, would it not? The only problem with the theory? When we get to that day, what will be the point of the next day? I guess we will have to answer that question when we get there. Then again, I could be completely wrong. And I'm okay with that.
And, that, my wonderful friends, is all I have to say in the matter. For now...


How Much For Your Wings? - The Black Crowes

No comments: