Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Zack Ford - Zack's rebuttal

As I suggested in the post, it is important to get to know a person a bit before you make accusations.

For example, if you looked around at all, you realized that one of the purposes of this blog is to address LGBT issues. I highlight my sexual orientation on my twitter account because I hope that it connects them here to my blog. LGBT advocacy is also a big part of the work that I do in Student Affairs in Higher Education.

It’s important to me to be out and proud because I can be out and proud. It’s about courage and nonconformity in an oppressive society. Being gay is different, but it’s awesome. I don’t know where you connect the dots to wrong because that’s not what I do at all. I write this blog so young people like your nephew know there are others out there, they can read about issues related to their identities, and they can feel supported knowing that others are speaking out on their behalf.

The attitude you present does the opposite. While your original tweet to me might not have been intentionally offensive, that really is the only way it can read. Your comment reveals the depth behind your meaning, which allows me to appreciate your intention a bit more, but I have to inform you that your approach is still misguided. It is your shame and your sense of discretion that sends your nephew the message he should hide who he is and perhaps be ashamed of it.

Keep in mind that there is still a lot of legal inequality against LGBT people. We still have a lot of fighting to do. We only make the important point if we are visible and force people to recognize that our society isn’t good enough until we respect difference (instead of, as you seem to, assume that different is wrong).

Whether you are straight or gay, Befralee, is irrelevant to me and to how I interpret your post. I believe you when you say you do not intend to be homophobic, but your actions still have a negative impact on the community, so I encourage you to think about the effects of your words. How would you feel if other people told you that you should “keep to yourself” certain aspects of your identity? THAT IS THE MESSAGE OF SHAME. If you are gay, I would be concerned that you have issues of shame that you direct inward as well, but that would be the only difference.

My thoughts on spirituality reflect another primary aspect of this blog, which is to inform people about atheism and to deconstruct religious privilege, the undeserved respect that subscription to the supernatural has in our society. I suggest you read my recent post on Karen Armstrong (linked above) as well as some of the posts in my “Defining Nonbelief and Atheism” archive to learn more about why I “mocked” spirituality.

Thank you for your comments. I hope you think about what I’ve said. I’m happy to continue this dialogue to help you be a better ally to the LGBT community and support structure for your nephew.

No comments: